every day about 50-150 jobseekers reach out to me in one form or the other: Via a job application, email, facebook or twitter. I ignore nearly all of them. So will most other recruiters.
I want to help you to succeed. I really do. But you need to do a few things for yourself. And you need to do them first. Before you contact any employer.
What most jobseekers forget: You are not alone. On the contrary. You are just one of more than 1.000 messages that I get in a normal week. The key to getting my attention: Talk to me about my wishes – not yours. The first paragraph of your message should be about me and my needs. The second paragraph should be about how you can help me solve my problems. Only then you can ask for a feedback.
You need to realise: If you are a jobseeker then you already have a job: You work in Sales. You sell your services to an employer. The employer does not care about your wishes. But he cares deeply about his own wishes.
This means: You need to know what I care about before you write me. How do you find out? Here is a simple structure:
1. Search immigrantspirit.com for fitting job offers.
2. Research the company.
3. Research the position.
4. Research the hiring manager.
5. Research the HR manager
6. If possible: Call up hiring manager or HR manager before you write your CV. Find out what they want to accomplish with this position.
7. Prepare your cover letter and CV to European standards.
8. Apply. (Respect the employers wishes: If they ask you to use a form on their website – do not sent letters by mail, email etc.)
9. Repeat with other companies until you find the right job.
You compete with 800.000 EU citizens, 500.000 immigrants and 700.000 Germans from “Generation Y” who enter the German jobmarket EVERY YEAR.
Adjust the effort and sophistication that you invest in your jobhunt accordingly.
Employers don’t want a skill. They want an attitude.
That’s why my company is called “Immigrant Spirit”. To be successful in your jobhunt: Don’t promise me this attitude – show it already in the way that you approach your jobhunt!
If you like more useful tips:
Join my FREE & LIVE Expats Career Webinar!
I wish you success,
Immigrant Spirit GmbH